Jonathan Winkle, Executive and Artistic Director, to Serve Through March 1, 2019; PSF Launches Nationwide Search for Next Executive and Artistic Director
Santa Fe, NM, October 23, 2018 – Performance Santa Fe, Santa Fe’s preeminent sponsor of exceptional music, dance, theater as well as performing arts education, today announced that following three highly successful seasons as the organization’s Executive and Artistic Director, Jonathan Winkle has notified its Board of Directors that he intends to resign, effective March 1, 2019. The Board has accepted Mr. Winkle’s resignation and has retained Management Consultants for the Arts, Inc., a search firm with expertise in artistic and cultural organizations, to identify top-notch candidates to lead the organization.
Under Mr. Winkle’s leadership, Performance Santa Fe enjoyed unprecedented programming and educational outreach success. Highlights include:
- Record ticket sales and attendance during the 2017-2018 season.
- Record subscription sales for the 2018-2019 season.
- The presentation of Grammy Award-winning artists including Kronos Quartet, Daniil Trifonov, Maria Schneider, Cecile McLorin Salvant, Emerson String Quartet, Emanuel Ax, and Catherine Russell; and dance companies including the Mark Morris Dance Group, Parsons Dance, Stars of the American Ballet and BODYTRAFFIC.
- Expansion of PSF’s educational outreach, including:
- Tripled, to over 1,400, the instructional hours offered in local public schools.
- Doubled the number of students attending world-class concert performances at no-cost.
- Tripled the number master classes conducted at-no-charge to students of Santa Fe public schools, National Dance Institute, New Mexico School for the Arts and University of New Mexico.
- Solid financial performance in each of the previous two fiscal years.
“I am deeply grateful to have headed Performance Santa Fe for the last three years, and am proud of our many accomplishments,” Winkle said. “However, given recent developments in my personal life, I’ve decided to return to Milwaukee, where my wife, Elizabeth Warne, has just accepted a wonderful job with the Milwaukee Ballet.”
“During my tenure, we initiated strategic initiatives in event programming and educational outreach, with which the Board was fully supportive and engaged, and I know that Performance Santa Fe will continue to evolve how it contributes to Santa Fe’s cultural and educational environment. I look forward to working with the Board on an orderly transition as we complete programming for PSF’s exciting 2019-2020 Season.”
Michael Brown, President of the Board of Directors, Performance Santa Fe, said, “Jon put together compelling programming that pleased audiences while expanding our repertoire. We wish Jon and Beth every future success, and thank him for the professional way he has approached this transition, including providing time for an orderly search for his successor.”
Brown added, “Building upon our past three seasons’ success, Performance Santa Fe will continue to offer to the Santa Fe community, and increasingly, arts-goers in the Greater Southwest, diverse, world-class, year-round programming. We will also continue to find new ways to leverage our expertise and access to the renowned artists we sponsor in order to enhance the cultural and educational experiences of Santa Fe’s students. We are looking forward to working closely with Management Consultants for the Arts to discover exciting candidates to serve as Performance Santa Fe’s next Executive and Artistic Director.”
For More Information, Contact Michael Brown: 505 984 8759
Performance Santa Fe’s mission is to present world-class music, dance, and theater, and to provide excellent performing arts education for our community. Founded in 1937, Performance Santa Fe has presented and produced more than 1,000 events, making it a cornerstone of Santa Fe’s arts community. More information can be found at http://performancesantafe.org/.